COVID-19 CRAZINESS - how to COPE
It's official, here in Canada we are pretty much in lockdown (or should be) to try to contain this nasty Covid-19 situation. People are stressed, panicked, stock-piling supplies, it's scary stuff when you think about it all! And with the whole staying at home forever (and not even really knowing when this will all be over), people are worried about losing their incomes, entertaining and educating children, food (and toilet paper?!) supply, getting sick, and most importantly staying sane through this!!! So many things are out of our control at this point so this blog post is about how you can ease your anxiety and worry by finding some routine in this new life and control the things you can control!
1. BREATHE! Just find some calm and breathe, whether it's through meditation, yoga, music, taking a nap, or just finding a moment and actually taking some deep, cleansing breaths! Try to find a few moments a day for this!
2. ROUTINE - now that most of us are at home 24/7, our routine is all messed up... Make a new routine on your own or with your family depending on your situation. Make time for specific activities you want to do! Think of all the things you've wanted to do, but had no time for... decluttering and organizing the basement, getting super-fit, learning to cook new dishes, spending more time with your family, spoiling your pets, learning to play the guitar, reading more, starting a YouTube channel, the list goes on and on I'm sure! Take advantage of this new found time and schedule these things into your day, every day! If you're having trouble, try writing a schedule down for yourself, or start small by doing one thing every day at a certain time for a week, then add another the next week, etc.
3. DON'T STOP THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY - Make sure to keep doing the things that feed your soul! You might have to modify how you do them, but figure out a way to get it in your life from home. Whether it's taking an online class instead of going to your regular in-person one, meeting up with friends online instead of in-person, figuring out an at-home workout rather than going to the gym, making new recipes at home rather than eating out, etc. Get creative and make sure you don't just give into lying on the couch binge watching Netflix (some of this is expected and fun, but too much of not doing your real favourite things will make you sad in the long-run!)
4. BE GRATEFUL for all that is beautiful in your life! We can all find SO many things to be grateful for! We often forget about all these blessings when we get scared and worried about something like Coronavirus. Start and end every day thinking of or even writing down or discussing with others all the things you are thankful for in your life right now!
5. CHOOSE HEALTH! It's easy to wanna give up a bit playing video games and living on chips and muffins, but what's going to up your immunity as well as make you feel one hundred times better physically and mentally is eating a healthy balanced diet, taking a few extra vitamins or greens drinks, and getting some physical activity into your day!
WHAT DO YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER?
Everything with the world may feel so out-of-control right now, but being at home gives you lots of new things you now are in total control of which can definitely make you feel calmer and more relaxed about all the things that are out of your control... food, workouts, music, most of all attitude!!! Make sure you are using that control and figure out what you want your lockdown life to look like, then make it happen! I am looking at this time as a hiatus from some of the stresses of real-life, almost like a long spa weekend or a vacation where I can explore areas of my life that sometimes get forgot about in all the hustle and bustle of real life!
Leave a Reply.
Fitness YouTuber, bellydancer, fitness addict, mom, and author of Loving Yourself Fit!